Fiber optics and Integrated optics:
Fiber optics and integrated optics are key technologies for both scientific research and industry, allowing applications in several innovative areas including 5G and optical free-space communication systems, aerospace, remote sensing of surface and atmosphere earth, chemical and biological sensing, non-invasive medical surgery, medical diagnosis and automotive.
MOE group laboratory is equipped with optical fiber processing units, splicing station, recoating station, high precision cutter, beam quality measurement set-up M2, high power lasers, optical spectrum analyzers OSAs, optical benches with several component set-ups.
MOE group research main topics in fiber optics and Integrated optics are:
- Design and fabrication of fiber laser, photonic crystal fibers (PCF), optical fiber devices for near infrared (NIR) and medium infrared (MID-IR) applications.
- Integrated optical device modeling; optical microresonators, integrated microdisks, microbubble.
- Modeling of innovative materials and rare earth doped optical devices and supercontinuum generation.
Microwave devices and Antennas
Microwave devices and antennas are extensively employed not only in wireless communication and remote sensing but also in medicine, aerospace, environmental monitoring and several other fields.
MOE group laboratory is equipped for i) the construction and characterization of microwave prototypes in SIW (substrate integrated waveguide) technology via an UV laser writing station, multilayer press, metallization station, anechoic chamber, network analyzers; ii) monitoring of electromagnetic field human exposure and electromagnetic compatibility EMC measurements, via electromagnetic field level meters, electromagnetic conducted emissions EMI test station, RF signal sources, oscilloscopes, vectorial spectrum analyzers VNAs, set of wide band antennas.
MOE group research main topics in microwave devices and antennas are:
- Design fabrication and characterization of antennas and microwave devices in Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) technology.
- Resonant cavities: design of accelerating cavities for proton linear accelerators (LINAC).
- Microwave applicator for thermal therapy, thermal ablation of cancer.
- Electromagnetic compatibility, electromagnetic exposure investigation, biocompatibility.